Saturday, May 24, 2008

FIrst Reading 21-73

Dairy of Buck
I am buck. I'm not a house dog but I'm not a stray either. I like to sit with the mayor by the fire place. But I also go with the judge's son and workers for strolls or hunts. One day a man named Manuel who worked on the garden took me. I thought it was just another regular walk but than I was traded off to another man. I rode on plane and carriage and inside of a crate till I came to a man in a red sweater. I had been treated cruelly inside of the crate and was as angry as ever. When the man in the red sweater let me out of the crate I rushed at him. I tried to strike but the man had a club. Every time that I attacked this man he hit me with the club. After a while I got to tired and was to injured too strike. I was defeated and knocked senseless. This taught me the law of club and fang. The man fed and took care of me. But then came the day when I finally was sold to two men who needed dogs to travel north to find the gold discovered there. I learned very quickly what I needed to do. I saw a lot of new things that startled me. For example I saw on of my companion dogs named Curly get killed by wolves. Spitz a mean wolf who was soon to take the position ass leader in the harness laughed at her death. Though I had no feeling for Curly this made me hate Spitz. It was well known by our master that one day there would be a fight between us. I caused a lot of trouble in the camp. Then the day finally came.
We were chasing a rabbit away from camp. I was in the lead but Spitz went around and got it from trapped it. I was at him for taking my kill and the fight began. Spitz was first to attack and he cut me up all over. But I was smart and faked a couple of attacks till I finally had him down and I won. I took his place as leader the next day and fixed up the team so that we made record times. But than i and the team was sold to another master. We had to work very hard because we were pulling a sled with mail. We didn't have a lot of rest and we got tired and weak. Than once again we were sold to another master who wasn't very smart in traveling. They didn't give us time to rest and we became very weak. The over fed us than under fed us and we became starved and weak so that our skeletons showed. We made a stop at John Thornton’s camp. We all sat down to rest till our master made us get up again but i didn't get up. My master was about to kill me till John Thornton saved my life and took me out of the harness. As the group drove away the ice cracked and they fell through. John Thornton was now my master.

No comments: