Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Third Reading 121-177

Dairy of the She-wolf l.k.a. (later known as) Kiche,

Tonight we didn't get to take any of the sled dogs because they were tied up. The men thought that their day would be successful and we thought we weren’t going to get any food till their sled overturned. It was upside down and jammed between a tree stump and a huge rock. While the men were busy trying to fix the sled I was able to, being a girl, lure one of the sled dogs over. He came over running and as came near me he stopped cautiously. I acted friendly, playful, and shy. Every time he tried to sniff me I retreated. I lead him out of the security of his human companions. He turned his head seeming to want to go back to the sled with the men and his companion sled dogs. I sniffed his nose very quickly than retreated before he could make any advances. He didn’t seem to want to go to the sled any more. But when my wolf pack gathered around him he tried to run back to the sled wolf pack at his heels. I stopped acting playful and leaped upon him with a snarl. He flung me off his shoulder and the chase continued. After a while one of the men came with a gun. He used all of his bullets and then we had him and his dog. We followed the other man for a while trying hard to get him. But he fought back with fire and we were only able to eat his dogs till some other men came and saved his life. We left in a search of meat until we found a moose. It fought hard but we were able to take it down. After that our pack of forty split up into two groups. The pack died down to four wolves me and three others. They had a fight for me and the oldest one, One Eye, of them all won taking me as his mate. Later I had five puppies. I kept One Eye away because I was afraid he would eat our puppies because I had heard stories like that. As time went by and we suffered famines my family died except for one gray puppy. He was different from the rest and very much like his dead father. He often started to journey away from our den as he got older. He got in many learned many things though twice he got in sticky situations. The second time with Indians the same Indians I had run away from a long time ago. They chained me up with and again called me Kiche my name from when I was with them before. They called my son White Fang and I could tell he was having a hard time getting used to things. He just recently got his nose and tongue burned by fire. I wished that he would stay by me or they would take me off of this chain.

Sincerely,

the She-wolf

No comments: